[mythtv-users] Enabling XvMC

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 02:40:28 UTC 2006

>   I;m quite sure that you need dri working in order to get xvmc to work.
> At least that is true on a via board.

But it's not true with NVidia drivers.

> You will have to parse out why dri does not load, if that was the reason
> for the comment-out.
> You may have a /dev/dri problem on load, which gets fixed with a udev
> entry. The place to look for info is Xorg.o.log, not dmesg.

Probably not due to the lack of DRI requirement for NVidia.

> And NOTE: xine must be compiled with a patch in order to use xvmc (and
> xxmc I think, but I'm not sure about the latter).

This is no longer correct with new version of Xine.  Main stream Xine
will work without the patch, it simply needs the configure addon
(--enable-blah).

> And mplayer too I sorta kinda think...nor sure.

Not true for NVidia.

> But when you do get dri working, your glxgears numbers will jump by a
> factor of 8 to 10.
>
> Geoff

Not true for NVidia, again due to the lack of DRI requirement.
However, for the most part the above does apply for Via based video
chipsets.

-Chad
--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com