[mythtv-users] Freevo, Tivo & MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 22 21:33:43 UTC 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Ed Gatzke wrote:

> Now hang on, you might be on to something here.  If we can come up
> with
> a mind-reading interface, just think what that could do for the
> scheduler! ;)
>
> Seriously, it would be nice to have real video on demand (since the
> cable co won't give it to us for all channels, especially
> commercial free).
>
> How expensive would it be to set up a farm of 5-10 boxes and grab
> most every channel?  Mostly a problem of $$$ and setup time.
>
> Then allow frontends to watch whatever and all the channels would
> be cached all the time...
>
> I could see this hapening in dorms and nerd frats (like my old one
> at Tech).  Or tech co-op apartments.  Share one cable bill and one
> T1bill and one server farm...

That's been talked about, I think somebody was asking about doing it
for an apartment building.

But it's not too practical.

You can get on-demand via streaming over the 'net from ITVN, and you
can get a download service from Akimbo which is not quite on-demand
but close (it DLs to a hard drive in the box and after it is
downloaded you can watch it on-demand. Both are commercial free.

Why would you go with a T1? Cable modems and DSL lines are faster in
the down direction, if perhaps not as reliable. T!s have come down in
price but are still pretty pricey, plus you have to buy the terminal
gear.