[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Network Storage Enclosure Recommendations

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Mon Nov 20 07:48:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, November 20, 2006 08:40, David Whyte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have bought a 2nd-hand Dell PC to eventually use as my main BE
> server, however, I can only put one HDD in there, which I will use
> just for the OS.  I initially though of just getting a single external
> USB 2.0 drive enclosure for each of my two large drives, however, I
> then thought it may be better to get a single NSE/NAS type device that
> will house 2 or 3 drives.  This would be running over 100Mbit
> Ethernet, with up to three SD tuners and up to 3 FE's. (I also plan on
> getting a slave BE in the future).
>
> I see D-Link, Linksys, Netgear et al do something each, but I was
> wandering if anyone had any advice, recommendations or even warnings
> about such devices?
>
> Would it be better to use as single USB 2.0 type caddy for each of my
> drives?  I see this is a faster bus speed, but I don't like the idea
> of each one requiring it's own power cable.  I have enough cables to
> manage as it is :?

I'd steer away from USB... I have had a lot of 'High speed USB device
reset'  errors in my syslog, causing hickups in recordings and frozen
frontends... I can give you the exact error if you want... Found the error
on Google lots, but no solutions!

Exactly why I am planning on rebuilding my main server in a larger case,
add a RAID5 in there of nice-sized drives, and net-connect the Myth
machine over NFS...

What I plan to do (as not to be hung up on netboot, which would require
more changes than I like) is to have the MythTV box boot from USB stick,
then mount NFS root and NFS Myth partition...

One less drive in the multimedia cabinet...

Drawback: No swapspace... But as I have *never* seen it use more than 2KB
swap anyway, and loads of cache in RAM, I somehow suspect I can live
without swap...   ;-)
> Any thoughts are welcome.

F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250
  Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) - XFCE - MythTV 0.20 - Xine
  Panasonic NV-VHD1 VCR/DVD player case modded to fit it all in...