[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Network Storage Enclosure Recommendations

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 07:40:39 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have bought a 2nd-hand Dell PC to eventually use as my main BE
server, however, I can only put one HDD in there, which I will use
just for the OS.  I initially though of just getting a single external
USB 2.0 drive enclosure for each of my two large drives, however, I
then thought it may be better to get a single NSE/NAS type device that
will house 2 or 3 drives.  This would be running over 100Mbit
Ethernet, with up to three SD tuners and up to 3 FE's. (I also plan on
getting a slave BE in the future).

I see D-Link, Linksys, Netgear et al do something each, but I was
wandering if anyone had any advice, recommendations or even warnings
about such devices?

Would it be better to use as single USB 2.0 type caddy for each of my
drives?  I see this is a faster bus speed, but I don't like the idea
of each one requiring it's own power cable.  I have enough cables to
manage as it is :?

Any thoughts are welcome.