[mythtv-users] Somewhat OT: Network Storage Enclosure Recommendations

jason fearthepenguin at jasonandjessi.com
Mon Nov 20 14:15:24 UTC 2006

I  have used around a dozen NAS devices all around the 150 or less price
point and have found the same problem with every one of them. Speed.
They rank very high on the convenience factor, but are terribly slow.
If possible, an external SATA enclosure (fairly cheap at Microcenter,
around 40 bucks) and a SATA card would be my prefered method going
forward. The speed is way up there and the cost should actually be less
then what you'll spend on a DLINK/etc NAS.

F Peeters (MythTV) wrote:
> On Mon, November 20, 2006 08:40, David Whyte wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have bought a 2nd-hand Dell PC to eventually use as my main BE
>> server, however, I can only put one HDD in there, which I will use
>> just for the OS.  I initially though of just getting a single external
>> USB 2.0 drive enclosure for each of my two large drives, however, I
>> then thought it may be better to get a single NSE/NAS type device that
>> will house 2 or 3 drives.  This would be running over 100Mbit
>> Ethernet, with up to three SD tuners and up to 3 FE's. (I also plan on
>> getting a slave BE in the future).
>>
>> I see D-Link, Linksys, Netgear et al do something each, but I was
>> wandering if anyone had any advice, recommendations or even warnings
>> about such devices?
>>
>> Would it be better to use as single USB 2.0 type caddy for each of my
>> drives?  I see this is a faster bus speed, but I don't like the idea
>> of each one requiring it's own power cable.  I have enough cables to
>> manage as it is :?
>>

> I'd steer away from USB... I have had a lot of 'High speed USB device
> reset'  errors in my syslog, causing hickups in recordings and frozen
> frontends... I can give you the exact error if you want... Found the error
> on Google lots, but no solutions!
>
> Exactly why I am planning on rebuilding my main server in a larger case,
> add a RAID5 in there of nice-sized drives, and net-connect the Myth
> machine over NFS...
>
> What I plan to do (as not to be hung up on netboot, which would require
> more changes than I like) is to have the MythTV box boot from USB stick,
> then mount NFS root and NFS Myth partition...
>
> One less drive in the multimedia cabinet...
>
> Drawback: No swapspace... But as I have *never* seen it use more than 2KB
> swap anyway, and loads of cache in RAM, I somehow suspect I can live
> without swap...   ;-)
>
>> Any thoughts are welcome.

Jason
The place where you made your stand never mattered,
only that you were there... and still on your feet