[mythtv-users] PVR-150(non-mce) Sound Quality

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Tue May 30 23:19:22 UTC 2006

> On May 30, 2006, at 8:05 AM, cweisiger at i-55.com wrote:
>
> > I have a pvr-150(non-mce) and a pvr-350 in my system.
> >
> > The sound quality is wonderful on my pvr-350, of which I
> > have the coax cable hooked directly to it.
> >
> > The pvr-150(non-mce) has my cable box hooked to it using
> > the composite(yellow, red, white). The picture quality is
> > great but the sound is scratchy, with a slight hissing sound.
> > Could this be that the sound is going from the red, white jacks
> > to the single sound input of the pvr-150.
>
> What is the sound like coming directly from the cable box? If that's
> bad the card will not fix it. The "single sound input" of the PVR-150
> is just the two channels in one connector, the connector type will
> not directly cause the sound to be poor.
>
> Many cable boxes have a sound level control, usually set with the
> remote. Be sure that you have set that to a reasonable setting,
> probably near the middle of the range or a bit higher.
>
> I have a satellite receiver going directly into a PVR-150 and it
> sounds as good as the audio output of the receiver is to start with.
>
> As was mentioned, be sure you are using decent cables.
>

> > Would the sound quality be better with a pvr-150 MCE version?
>
> No. Although the MCE uses two RCA connectors instead of the one 1/8"
> jack of the non-MCE version, audio quality should be the same as far
> as a human ear can determine.

This sounds like it might be the "tinny audio" issue discussed on the
ivtv-user list. Search the archives of that list for details. As far as I
know there is no fix yet. What I found was that setting the audio input on
the command line with ivtvctl fixes the issue, temporarily. Something like:

ivtvctl -d /dev/video1 -q 1

Check the manual for ivtvctl and make sure the parameters are correct. I
have a script that runs every minute via cron and loops for 55 seconds
running this command every 5 seconds. Kinda lame but it works for me.

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com