[mythtv-users] PVR-150(non-mce) Sound Quality

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 31 00:35:43 UTC 2006

On May 30, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Robert Anderson wrote:

> On 5/30/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
> On May 30, 2006, at 8:05 AM, cweisiger at i-55.com wrote:
>
> > I have a pvr-150(non-mce) and a pvr-350 in my system.
> >
> > The sound quality is wonderful on my pvr-350, of which I
> > have the coax cable hooked directly to it.
> >
> > The pvr-150(non-mce) has my cable box hooked to it using
> > the composite(yellow, red, white). The picture quality is
> > great but the sound is scratchy, with a slight hissing sound.
> > Could this be that the sound is going from the red, white jacks
> > to the single sound input of the pvr-150.
>
> What is the sound like coming directly from the cable box? If that's
> bad the card will not fix it. The "single sound input" of the PVR-150
> is just the two channels in one connector, the connector type will
> not directly cause the sound to be poor.
>
> Many cable boxes have a sound level control, usually set with the
> remote. Be sure that you have set that to a reasonable setting,
> probably near the middle of the range or a bit higher.
>
> I have a satellite receiver going directly into a PVR-150 and it
> sounds as good as the audio output of the receiver is to start with.
>
> As was mentioned, be sure you are using decent cables.
>

> > Would the sound quality be better with a pvr-150 MCE version?
>
> No. Although the MCE uses two RCA connectors instead of the one 1/8"
> jack of the non-MCE version, audio quality should be the same as far
> as a human ear can determine.

> This sounds like it might be the "tinny audio" issue discussed on
> the ivtv-user list. Search the archives of that list for details.
> As far as I know there is no fix yet. What I found was that setting
> the audio input on the command line with ivtvctl fixes the issue,
> temporarily. Something like:
>
> ivtvctl -d /dev/video1 -q 1
>
> Check the manual for ivtvctl and make sure the parameters are
> correct. I have a script that runs every minute via cron and loops
> for 55 seconds running this command every 5 seconds. Kinda lame but
> it works for me.

You're right, it might be the "tinny" audio problem, hard to tell
with all the subjective terms used to describe it, but it's always
been hard for humans to describe sound in words.

One possible workaround: Try connecting the RF feed into the 150 and
the baseband feed into the 350, if there is no other reason you need
to have them the way they are.

This might well mask the problem unless the OP is unlucky enough to
have two cards with the same problem.