[mythtv-users] Mythbackend - Ubuntu vs Fedora Core 5

Adam Hirsch mythtv at quakerporn.com
Thu May 18 12:57:07 UTC 2006

Steve Skarda (steveskarda at gmail.com) wrote:

> If you decide to switch to Ubuntu, you may want to wait a few weeks until
> Dapper is officially released. [...] On Breezy, I had to compile Alsa and
> a vanilla kernel from source to get my system working.  On Dapper,
> everything worked right off the bat.

Just a single anecdotal data point -- I didn't have any problems getting
things running on a Breezy system, and didn't need to recompile my kernel
or ALSA.

That said, the only reason I could conceivably think of *not* to install
Dapper for a mythtv setup would be the relative scarcity of docs and notes
specific to Dapper, and that's something that is clearly already in the
process of correcting itself.

Adam

--
   I once found a user who had rebooted ninety-six times in one hour, hoping
   that his ethernet cable would magically plug itself back into the wall.