[mythtv-users] Mythbackend - Ubuntu vs Fedora Core 5

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Thu May 18 11:49:43 UTC 2006

If you decide to switch to Ubuntu, you may want to wait a few weeks until
Dapper is officially released.  I am running Dapper now with no problems but
their final, stable release is expected in the first week of June.   Their
releases after that are expected to involve more development (and thus be
less stable) so Dapper will be their most stable release for some time.
There are some key advantages to Dapper.  A more up to date kernel (with
drivers for newer DVB cards), a more up to date Alsa, a preemptive kernel
for realtime scheduling, and a host of other improvements.   On Breezy, I
had to compile Alsa and a vanilla kernel from source to get my system
working.  On Dapper, everything worked right off the bat.

Steve