[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Web-Based Control System?

Tony Rein trein at one.net
Mon May 8 13:36:32 UTC 2006

On Monday  May 08, 2006 8:41 am, Geoff B wrote:
> On 5/7/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > your

> > the

> > play

> > > Indeed - this is what I do at work and works well.  And if you're
> > > happy controlling the stream with a PC (or anything else that will run
> > > a web browser), then you're golden.  I just can't seem to get my
> > > significant other to do this though, whereas she took to the
> > > Squeezebox like a duck to soup.
> >
> > Is it possible to use slimserver to play the music out of the mythbox?  I
> > just installed it, but it looks like it will strem the music to my remote
> > computer, whereas I want to use the remote computer to control the
> > mythbox and play the music from there.
>
> Slimserver is the server software that drives the Squeezebox, or one
> of its software equivalents (e.g. SoftSqueeze).  The Squeezebox is a
> stand-alone piece of hardware that plugs into your amplifier (ok, I
> guess that makes it not standalone!), and streams music from the
> server that has Slimserver installed to the amp.  If you want to use
> the software version, you need a PC of some kind with Softsqueeze (or
> equivalent) installed, this acts as a streaming client to Slimserver.
> So to answer your question: you could install Slimserver on your
> mythbox as a server, then plug a Squeezebox into your stereo to play
> your music there, or run software on a PC to play your music there (or
> both).
> Cheers
> Geoff B

In an attempt to make this a little clearer, although I'm not sure if it's the
setup you want:

You can install the SlimServer software on your Mythbox, and it will send the
music out to squeezebox hardware clients, which are plugged into your stereo
system and connected to the slimserver via your network.

However, slimserver will also send the music to any software that knows how to
ask properly, and one such piece of software is included in the slimserver
package. This client is called "softsqueeze" and you can install it pretty
much anywhere you have Perl and Java.

You could put softsqueeze on your mythbox (there's nothing that says the
client and the server can't be on the same computer) and control it either
via the keyboard and mouse of the mythbox, or via a web browser from any
computer on your home network.

You should get slimserver and softsqueeze (free download from slimdevices.com)
and play with them for a while, and you'll get a better idea of whether it
does exactly what you want. I think you'll like them in any case -- they are
really pretty cool pieces of software, with lots of features I didn't go into
this morning.

Tony Rein
trein at one.net