[mythtv-users] Feature Request: Web-Based Control System?

Geoff B geoffbon at gmail.com
Mon May 8 12:41:01 UTC 2006

On 5/7/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/5/06, Geoff B <geoffbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Or, better yet, just install slimserver on your backend (or wherever
> your
> > > music library lives) and use slimp3slave, xmms, etc, etc to play back
> the
> > > music streamed by slimserver.  No point in buying a Squeezebox just to
> play
> > > music when you've already got a perfectly good mythfrontend connected to
> > > your TV or stereo.
> > >
> > Indeed - this is what I do at work and works well.  And if you're
> > happy controlling the stream with a PC (or anything else that will run
> > a web browser), then you're golden.  I just can't seem to get my
> > significant other to do this though, whereas she took to the
> > Squeezebox like a duck to soup.
>

> Is it possible to use slimserver to play the music out of the mythbox?  I
> just installed it, but it looks like it will strem the music to my remote
> computer, whereas I want to use the remote computer to control the  mythbox
> and play the music from there.

Slimserver is the server software that drives the Squeezebox, or one
of its software equivalents (e.g. SoftSqueeze).  The Squeezebox is a
stand-alone piece of hardware that plugs into your amplifier (ok, I
guess that makes it not standalone!), and streams music from the
server that has Slimserver installed to the amp.  If you want to use
the software version, you need a PC of some kind with Softsqueeze (or
equivalent) installed, this acts as a streaming client to Slimserver.
So to answer your question: you could install Slimserver on your
mythbox as a server, then plug a Squeezebox into your stereo to play
your music there, or run software on a PC to play your music there (or
both).
Cheers
Geoff B