[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

Dean Wilson dean.k.wilson at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:00:22 UTC 2006

Thanks for your help!

> RAID 4 is similar to 5 except that it uses a dedicated disk for the
> parity information rather than striping it across all the other disks.

Is this good/bad/indifferent for Myth?  Can I specify which disk gets
the parity info?  (If so, since I'm likely to have to have a single
PATA drive anyway (with the others being SATA), would it benefit me to
specify this drive as the parity disk?

> RAID 6 is basically RAID 5 but with two separate parity sets allowing
> for failure of two drives (but with 2 drives worth of storage space
> lost).

Is this necessary?  As I understand it, as long as I don't have a huge
array of disks, the likelyhood of more than two disks dying at the
same time are low.  So as long as I replace the disk ASAP, I should be
fine with only one parity disk, yes?

Speaking of replacing disks, how difficult is it to replace a bad disk
with mdadm?  (And how will I know if a disk has gone bad?  Will it
limp along, or force me to replace it immediately?)

Again, thanks for all your help!