[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Mon May 1 20:23:34 UTC 2006

On Mon May 01, 2006 at 03:06:33PM -0500, Dean Wilson wrote:

> I'm considering increasing the number of drives I'm using.  When I do
> that, I would like to go to a redundant system for reliability.
> Unfortunately, I've never used raid before, and would like some input.
>
> Because of the size required for HD TV as well as space required for
> mail and web server files, I'm aiming for ~1TB of usable storage
> space, which would be prohibitively expensive to double the disks.
> That said, what are my best options?
>
> I've noticed that mwadm supports Raid 0, 1, 4, 5, 6
>
> Raid 0 has no redundancy, so it isn't preferred
> Raid 1is redundant, but requires too many disks (correct?)
> Raid 4 ?
> Raid 5 has redundancy (correct?), but I've heard that it writes very
> slowly.  Would a Raid5 system be too slow for recording 2 HD + 1 SD
> recording, while doing playback to up to two frontends at the same
> time?
> Raid 6 ?

RAID 4 is similar to 5 except that it uses a dedicated disk for the
parity information rather than striping it across all the other disks.
RAID 6 is basically RAID 5 but with two separate parity sets allowing
for failure of two drives (but with 2 drives worth of storage space
lost).

The overhead in RAID 5 (it needs to calculate parity information on
writes) will be pretty negligible on any modern system (except possibly
the EPIAs) so I wouldn't worry about that.

> As I understand it from these discussions, Raid5 requires 5 drives, 4
> of which will be used for storage?  (So 5 250GB drives would sum to
> 1TB of useable HD space?)

Approximately, yes.  It'll be a bit short of a TB because of the way the
storage is calculated (using standard kB insstead of kiB).

> Also, (assuming all raid configurations require more than 4 drives to
> affordably hit my 1TB target with redundancy) I have a motherboard
> that has 4 SATA ports, but with two different controllers, I'll still
> need an SATA card for the 5th+ drive(s) (unless mdadm can mix IDE with
> SATA?  Is this just asking for trouble?)  Will multiple controllers
> adversely affect the raid array?  (If so, is there a controller card
> anyone would recommend with 5+ SATA ports?)
>
> Thanks for your help!

There's no problem with using multiple controllers, or multiple types of
controller (SATA, PATA or even SCSI) though you'll be limited by the
speed of the slowest drive.

HTH,
        Robin

--