[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:16:10 UTC 2006

Having had this happen to me a while back I can tell you.

Without any special configuration MDADM is pretty silent.  Alot of
distributions have some nightly e-mails going to root that might include
mdadm information (typically a cat of /proc/mdstat), and I know there are
some 3rd party tools that will monitor MDSTAT for you, but by and large
you're pretty much on your own to my knowledge.

Replacing a disk is pretty easy.  Shutdown your system (unless you have
hotpluggable drives, in which case you can send me $3000 for the advice here
as I seem to need the money more than you do *GRIN*), and install a new disk
onto the raid controller.

When the system comes back up, MDADM should recognize the drive and add it
as "spare", using a command (don't know off the top of my head, do a man on
mdadm) you will add that drive  into your raid array and it will
automatically rebuild for you.  Not hard stuff.

--Douglas Wagner

p.s. I'm still a newbie to RAID6, given appropriate precautions though
(don't buy the drives all at the same time from the same source that are the
same model/run, etc.) it's unlikely that in 5+ disks you'll have two fail at
one time...RAID5 is still what most business runs I think (at least the one
I work for does).