[mythtv-users] OT: TiVo series 3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 18 19:35:35 UTC 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Marco Nelissen wrote:

>> looks interesting. definitely not as amazing as MythTV in many
>> regards, but unless Myth finds a way to record HD content that "they
>> don't want you to record", this may give us HD users a viable option.
>
> The only reason I'm using mythtv instead of tivo is because I
> didn't want
> to spend a bunch of money on already-obsolete hardware (HD DirectTivo)
> AND be locked into a 2-year contract with DirecTV.
> For all the "amazing" things mythtv does, it still can't hold a candle
> to tivo as far as ease of use goes.

"Ease of Use" ?????

Just how "easy" is it to make  DVD from a recorded program that will
play on your grandmother's DVD player ??

This is what made me junk my TiVo. Not only do they want you to pay
more $$$ for crappy software, but the process is a PIA on top of
that. Having to enter your ID in order to watch a recording, being
"required" to have a machine running Windows, putting up with
transfers that are tortoise slow so the puny CPU can encrypt them,
it's crazy.

I realize that this is all put on TiVo by the evil MPAA forces, but
it's still not "easy" in my book, I can have a DVD from Myth in
minutes, with no transfers, passcode inputting, separate machine and
OS, or the possibility of somebody deciding that you can't put
certain programs on DVD.

You would think that something with "recorder" in its name would make
it easier to make a "recording" :-))