[mythtv-users] ProjectGrayhem-wide theme version 1.2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 11 05:49:43 UTC 2006

On 03/10/2006 12:11 AM, Peter Schachte wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:06:27PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 02/19/2006 02:25 PM, James Stembridge wrote:
>>
>>> 100 DPI in which direction? As I use a non-wide resolution (720x576)
>>> to a wide display I can't set the DPI to be 100 in both direction and
>>> have video displayed correctly.
>>>
>> IMHO, vertical offset looks far more incorrect than horizontal offset
>> (an arrow on top of the text to which it's pointing looks better than an
>> arrow pointing to the wrong text), so I'd go with 100DPI vertical.  So,
>> for 16:9 using 720x576, I'd use "DisplaySize 259 146" (values
>> truncated--in general truncating seems to work better for me than
>> rounding--but verify with your X logs that you've convince X to use
>> 100DPI vertical).
>>
> Thanks, Michael.  I'm in the same boat (PAL SD widescreen, 720x576,
> connected via SVIDEO cable).  I've set the DisplaySize as you suggest,
> and I find this in my X log:
>
>     (**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device TV-0:
>     (**) NVIDIA(0):      Mode "720x576": 13.9 MHz, 15.6 kHz, 50.0 Hz (I)
>     (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 720 x 576
>     (++) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
>
> Is that close enough to 100dpi?

Nope.  100dpi is close enough.  :)

>   And the real mystery: how can it be
> 96 dpi both horizontally and vertically

Easily answered by a line near the top of your Xorg.0.log/XFree86.0.log:

        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

So, whatever is starting X for you is using the command-line to set the
dpi (something like "startx -- -dpi 96")...  Time to dig through the
docs for your distro or find someone who knows your distro so you can
figure out how to fix your distro's (IMHO) broken configuration.  :)

> When I use the ProjectGrayhem-wide theme, I find it doesn't display
> correctly. ...  It would be really nice to have a theme
> that made good use of the horizontal space on the TV, and I'm asuming
> a widescreen one will.

This will probably improve once you fix the DPI, but at such a low
resolution, you may never get a "perfect" view that's also readable.
You could play around with fonts/font sizes in the theme, but then
again, you may find it's close enough with the proper DPI.

> The other strange thing is that I need to force the aspect ratio to
> 4x3 when watching recordings in myth, or the display is vertically
> squashed.

Once you fix your X command-line, this will work properly.

> I'm not sure what sizes to set for the
> small, medium and large fonts in the myth config, but changing them
> didn't seem to help.

Whether those settings affect the display is determined by your theme.
The theme can choose to use user-specified sizes (small, medium, large)
in defining text or may specify a size directly, in which case the
settings have no effect.  Many themes use a both approaches in different
areas.

Mike