[mythtv-users] ProjectGrayhem-wide theme version 1.2

Peter Schachte schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 10 05:11:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:06:27PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/19/2006 02:25 PM, James Stembridge wrote:
> > 100 DPI in which direction? As I use a non-wide resolution (720x576)
> > to a wide display I can't set the DPI to be 100 in both direction and
> > have video displayed correctly.
>
> IMHO, vertical offset looks far more incorrect than horizontal offset
> (an arrow on top of the text to which it's pointing looks better than an
> arrow pointing to the wrong text), so I'd go with 100DPI vertical.  So,
> for 16:9 using 720x576, I'd use "DisplaySize 259 146" (values
> truncated--in general truncating seems to work better for me than
> rounding--but verify with your X logs that you've convince X to use
> 100DPI vertical).

Thanks, Michael.  I'm in the same boat (PAL SD widescreen, 720x576,
connected via SVIDEO cable).  I've set the DisplaySize as you suggest,
and I find this in my X log:

    (**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device TV-0:
    (**) NVIDIA(0):      Mode "720x576": 13.9 MHz, 15.6 kHz, 50.0 Hz (I)
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 720 x 576
    (++) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (96, 96)

Is that close enough to 100dpi?  And the real mystery: how can it be
96 dpi both horizontally and vertically when

    259 / 146 = 1.77    !=    720 / 576 = 1.25 (not even 1.33) ?

When I use the ProjectGrayhem-wide theme, I find it doesn't display
correctly.  Several of the longer menu item names are wrapped in place
(so only the top few pixels of the wrapped line are visible below the
beginning of the menu item).  It would be really nice to have a theme
that made good use of the horizontal space on the TV, and I'm asuming
a widescreen one will.

The other strange thing is that I need to force the aspect ratio to
4x3 when watching recordings in myth, or the display is vertically
squashed.  I didn't have this problem in an earlier myth version (post
0.18.1 SVN, before the live TV rewrite).  That means when I watch a
pillar-boxed 4x3 program (there are still a fair number here in
Australia), I can't use 16x9 zoom mode to fill the screen (actually,
what I'd really like would be for FILL mode to zoom both letterboxed
programs on a 4x3 screen *and* pillar-boxed programs on a 16x9 screen,
but leave the display alone when the program aspect ratio matched the
display).

I'm running myth 0.19 built from the tarball and x.org 6.8.2 on a
debian sid Athlon64 system.  I do have the vera font installed
(ttf-vera-bitstream package).  I'm not sure what sizes to set for the
small, medium and large fonts in the myth config, but changing them
didn't seem to help.

Thanks in advance for any diagnosis/suggestions anyone can make.

Here are the pertinent sections from my xorg.conf file:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "NormalTV"
        HorizSync 15-50
        VertRefresh 50-50
        DisplaySize 259 146
        Option          "DPMS"
        # PAL 50
        ModeLine "720x576" 13.875 720 744 808 888 576 581 586 625 -hsync -vsync interlace
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "NormalTV"
        Option          "TVStandard"            "PAL-B"
        Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
        Option          "TVOutFormat"           "SVIDEO"
        Option          "TVOverScan"            "0.6"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "720x576"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Peter Schachte              The nationalist not only does not disapprove of
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        atrocities committed by his own side, but he has