[mythtv-users] Very Slow EPG - Need to restore (or delete) all channel icons

Noel Murphy bnmurphy at rogers.com
Wed Mar 8 18:54:26 UTC 2006

I just wanted to add some to this.

I took Michael's suggestion about wiping the paths out of the
database, (sql: UPDATE channel SET icon = 'none';) and sure enough
that solved the problem for about a 24 hour period. Probably until
mythfillDB ran again.

As for running the backend as root vs. a different user, this is
where my newbie linux knowledge shines. How do I change which user
starts up a process when it is started up automatically at bootup? I
just followed Jarod's guide to get where I am.

Also, what I've noticed is that in the database, all the icon path
entries are pointing to the mythuser directory (not the root one):

ex. //.mythtv/channels/ae.jpg

So you were right in that the problem just came back after an update.
Here's the one thing that I can think of that changed with 18.1 to
19, in terms of my setup.

I used to run mythfillDB from a cron job (again, from Jarod's guide),
but with 19, I turned on the option to let myth call mythfillDB. I
did this to take advantage of letting the listings service dictate
when my next update time was, instead of my cron job always running
at the same time.

I can turn this option off and switch back for a bit to see if that
is in fact the issue.

In any case, why can I never actually get the images? I don't have
them in either my root user folder OR my mythuser folder. Just the
paths in the DB to files that don't exist?

Noel