[mythtv-users] Very Slow EPG - Need to restore (or delete) all channel icons

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 6 21:56:25 UTC 2006

On 03/06/2006 02:44 PM, Noel Murphy wrote:
> So I almost never bring up the EPG but I did on the weekend. This is
> the first time since the upgrade to .19
>
> It was unusable slow. I looked at the logs and see that it trying to
> find the channel icons and they don't exist. They used to, but don't
> anymore. A couple things here confuse me.
>
> 1. They used to be in /home/mythuser/.mythv/channels/, but the logs
> are looking in /root/.mythtv/channels. They've never been in the root
> folder. They used to be in the mythuser folder. The channels folder
> is still there, but it is empty. The root/.mythtv folder doesn't even
> have the empty channels folder.

You are starting mythbackend as the root user, so the HOME environment
variable refers to /root.  You should start mythbackend as the mythuser
user so that HOME refers to /home/mythuser.

The only location mythfilldatabase will use when updating icons is
$HOME/.mythtv/channels.  However, if you have icons already (even if
they're in another location), mfdb should not be updating them.  Someone
else mentioned mfdb always trying to update his icons--even when they
already exist--in another thread (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/187266#187266 ), but
I've never seen this behavior, so I haven't made time to look into it.
I have 13 channels through DISH network, and the only time mfdb ever
tries to update channel icons is when TMS adds new channels to my lineup
(like once or twice a week) and only for the new channels.

> 2. Using the tip from Jarod's site, I thought I'd restore my channel
> icons. The first line worked (the perl script that creates
> iconmap.xml) and sets all the url files in the /tmp folder, but the
> 2nd line does not. It tries to connect to the database and then I get
> this:

> | Attempting to contact the master backend for rescheduling.  |
> | If the master is not running, rescheduling will happen when |
> | the master backend is restarted.                            |
>
> But I know the backend is running. Any thoughts? I've tried this as
> mythuser and I tried to sudo it, in case that was the issue.

This message is always shown.  It is not an error or a warning, just
information explaining what's happening.  This does not mean the
mythfilldatabase command is failing,

> 3. I'd be willing to do without the icons even. Is there a way to
> blanket delete them all from the Database, using the UI? (I can run
> an SQL statement if required, but I'd feel more comfortable not)

No.  You could do an

UPDATE channel SET icon = 'none';

Although, if your machine always replaces the icons--like Tom said his
does--you'll have the same problem again after the next run of mfdb...

Mike