[mythtv-users] Very Slow EPG - Need to restore (or delete) all channel icons

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 8 19:27:18 UTC 2006

On 03/08/2006 01:54 PM, Noel Murphy wrote:
> I just wanted to add some to this.
>
> I took Michael's suggestion about wiping the paths out of the
> database, (sql: UPDATE channel SET icon = 'none';) and sure enough
> that solved the problem for about a 24 hour period. Probably until
> mythfillDB ran again.
>
> As for running the backend as root vs. a different user, this is
> where my newbie linux knowledge shines. How do I change which user
> starts up a process when it is started up automatically at bootup? I
> just followed Jarod's guide to get where I am.

sudo/su/...  There are many approaches you can take, but some are
"preferred" on some distributions.  As I don't know any distributions, I
can't really provide a good suggestion for you.

However it's quite likely that simply adding a line:

export HOME=/home/mythuser

to the mythbackend init script before the call to start/stop the
mythbackend executable would make things work well enough for you.  (I
don't know what's in the mythbackend script, though, so I can't say for
sure.)

> Also, what I've noticed is that in the database, all the icon path
> entries are pointing to the mythuser directory (not the root one):
>
> ex. //.mythtv/channels/ae.jpg
>
> So you were right in that the problem just came back after an update.

:)

> Here's the one thing that I can think of that changed with 18.1 to
> 19, in terms of my setup.
>
> I used to run mythfillDB from a cron job (again, from Jarod's guide),
> but with 19, I turned on the option to let myth call mythfillDB. I
> did this to take advantage of letting the listings service dictate
> when my next update time was, instead of my cron job always running
> at the same time.

Good.  Keep it that way, please.  :)  We should fix the icon issue
rather than lose the suggested next fill time...

> I can turn this option off and switch back for a bit to see if that
> is in fact the issue.
>
> In any case, why can I never actually get the images? I don't have
> them in either my root user folder OR my mythuser folder. Just the
> paths in the DB to files that don't exist?

I've heard that there's an issue with mfdb's retrieving icons since the
change to DataDirect, but I've never felt inclined to spend time
tracking it down as there are other approaches that work and it's a
one-time issue (I did mine well over a year ago and haven't thought of
it since).  See the "Channel Icons in EPG" tip at
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/tips.php .  Also, note that you can
download your own and put them in place (see, for example,
http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/ )--which is really nice for replacing the
generic ones from DataDirect with broadcaster-specific ones.

Mike