[mythtv-users] Where to dedicate processing power?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 02:15:23 UTC 2006

On 3/7/06, Jim Minihane <min02jsm at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:

> If for example, I want to build an SD (no Hi Def) mythtv system with 2
> frontends, a backend with no tuner but runs MySQL and file storage, and 2
> slave backends with 2 tuners each (assume PVR-500), which one should have to
> most CPU? Most memory, Most HDD I/O.
>
> I'm really trying to find out what the processing/hardware
> requirements/desirables are for the different "nodes" of MythTV.
>
> I've got some old hardware lying around and will be buying a PVR-500 this
> weekend to begin experimenting.
>
> Specifically I have a PII-400, P3-600, and a P3-933. 256MB each. HDDs can be
> swapped around.
>
> Thanks again. I've been asking a lot of "what if" type questions so far but
> MythTV seems so impossibly flexible I just want to confirm what it can and
> cannot do before I try different things.

I'd put the processing power and RAM in one of those Slaves.
Personally, here's how I'd do it:
Run MySQL on that fileserver, it doesn't have to have Myth running at
all.  Choose one of those slaves to be the master.  Give the master
all the CPU and RAM, then setup comm flagging and transcoding to all
be done on that host.  Next in order of who gets more power would be
my frontend, from there it really doesn't matter.

HTH

Chad