[mythtv-users] Where to dedicate processing power?

Jim Minihane min02jsm at minihane.tzo.com
Wed Mar 8 01:59:13 UTC 2006

If for example, I want to build an SD (no Hi Def) mythtv system with 2
frontends, a backend with no tuner but runs MySQL and file storage, and 2
slave backends with 2 tuners each (assume PVR-500), which one should have to
most CPU? Most memory, Most HDD I/O.

I'm really trying to find out what the processing/hardware
requirements/desirables are for the different "nodes" of MythTV.

I've got some old hardware lying around and will be buying a PVR-500 this
weekend to begin experimenting.

Specifically I have a PII-400, P3-600, and a P3-933. 256MB each. HDDs can be
swapped around.

Thanks again. I've been asking a lot of "what if" type questions so far but
MythTV seems so impossibly flexible I just want to confirm what it can and
cannot do before I try different things.