[mythtv-users] OTA HDTV and QAM on same card

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Mar 1 18:45:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 12:14 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I've had great luck with my pcHDTV HD3000, which is a linux only card
> and they support the linux community (in some way apparently...).
One of their shareholders wrote the original HDTV support in MythTV,
they give $5 to the EFF with each purchase, and they sponsored several
enhancements to MythTV like the signal monitoring code and some
improvements to channel scanning.

I have the pcHDTV HD3000 card and a Air2PC 2nd rev card, both work
well. My Air2PC doesn't support QAM very well, but the 3rd rev HD5000
is supposed to support QAM well.

The FusionHDTV5 Gold card should also work well, but I would be leary
of the FusionHDTV5 Lite as it uses a bt787 for the PCI interface.
That chip has a limited buffer and so you could lose packets when the
processor is too busy to empty the buffer quickly.

There is a rundown of the cards supported by the DVB drivers here:
  http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards

MythTV also supports the pcHDTV HD2000, which does have two inputs,
but you need to get the drivers from pcHDTV. Also it doesn't support
QAM, and it's demodulator isn't as good as the one in the modern cards.

-- Daniel