[mythtv-users] PostgreSQL

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 30 20:30:46 UTC 2006

On 06/30/2006 02:46 AM, David Rees wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> optimize_mythdb.pl in contrib as a daily cron job
>>
>> (Not to say anything about how I could set up PostgreSQL to be less
>> stable than MySQL or vice versa depending on which I wanted to prove as
>> the "better" DBMS...  It's all about configuration.  Oh, wait.  I guess
>> I just said it.)
>>

> So please tell me how to configure MySQL to not corrupt indicies and
> tables. I'm sure others would like to know, too.

Best I can do is say to configure it correctly. ;)

> No, running optimize_mythdb.pl as a daily cron job is not a fix, it is
> a hack and a workaround as depending on when MySQL decides to corrupt
> itself, I can still end up with up to 24 hours of bad Myth behavior
> unless I notice it first.

If MySQL is "corrupt[ing] itself" while running normally, you have a
broken MySQL configuration/installation.  If the MySQL tables are
corrupted due to abnormal program terminations (i.e. power off/hard
resets), just run optimize_mythdb.pl from the init script that starts
MySQL and you won't get "up to 24 hours of bad Myth behavior."

Mike