[mythtv-users] Frontend / Backend

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:29:07 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06, Magnus Sandin <magnus at sandin.cx> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just have a quick question that I can't find a clear answer to after
> reading the documentation.
>
> Is it possible to have a backend with all capture cards and a frontend
> without any capture cards and still watch Live TV on the frontend
> (served from the backend)?

Yes, that's the "normal" mode.  If Myth is using a capture card, it's
a backend (master or slave).  Frontends cannot use capture cards
(unless they are backends as well).

> I could not get this to work, however watching previously recorded shows
> works just fine.

That's odd.  Unless your machine is extremely underpowered, you would
need to post logs/error messages if you want further help on it.

Good luck!