[mythtv-users] mythvideo plugin on xbox - controls don't

Adam Anderson adamand at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 05:53:07 UTC 2006

Keith Hanlan wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply Kevin.
>
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>> Keith Hanlan wrote:
>>
>>> Can somebody suggest a course of action?
>>>

>> It has nothing to do with mythvideo.
>>

> There were two problems noted; one of them is mplayer/xbox/lirc
> but the other is mythvideo. Specifically, I couldn't get
> mythvideo's "internal" playback to work. Mythvideo is rather short
> on documentation but I believe I'm supposed to be able to
> configure it to use mythfrontend's internal playback. When I do
> that, I get no response.

Did you use "internal" or "Internal".  The latter is correct.
>> You need to get your LIRC support working in mplayer.  I don't
>> run an xbox so I can't say for sure what you need to do other
>> than it really has nothing to do with Myth.  I'm sure there is
>> plenty of information online in the form of howto documents for
>> mplayer and LIRC.
>>

> I've looked. I did my research before the original posting. I saw
> lots of issues, but none that looked like mine. In my case, each
> component seems to work properly.
>
> I know that lirc is working for me since I use it successfully
> with mythtv. I know that mplayer is trying to use lirc since it
> logs the fact: "Setting up LIRC support..."

Having LIRC set up for mythtv does not mean that mplayer LIRC support is
configured properly.  Get LIRC support working in mplayer outside of
Myth and it will work when launched from Myth
> Actually, I know that mplayer is using lirc because when I press
> the arrow buttons, I see the X cursor appear and move. That
> suggests that mplayer using lirc incorrectly. However, I can't
> figure out how.

I don't see how.  That probably means that "something" is receiving
those commands and moving the mouse.  Mplayer should respond by skipping
forward and back or do whatever you have the left/right buttons
programmed to do in mplayer, not move the X cursor.
> I assumed that lirc receives the keypress events, translates them
> to some sort of command and passes them to mplayer. So, why would
> it translate them to the *wrong* events when it sends the commands
> to mplayer as opposed to mythtv?

No, LIRC receives IR button presses and changes them into mplayer
functions based on the configuration you specify in your ~/.lircrc file.

For example, mine has stuff like this:

begin
        prog = mplayer
        button = Pause
        config = pause
end

begin
        prog = mplayer
        button = Play
        config = pause
end

Which maps my remote "Pause" and "Play" buttons to the mplayer "pause"
command which pauses/unpauses the playback.  Do you have similar
information in your ~/.lircrc file?

Kevin

You need to add:
lirc=yes
to your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf

To get mythvideo to start you need to add -nojoystick to your launch
command.

Might want to check this out:
http://www.mythtv-xbox.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36
Everything is there for a basic setup.