[mythtv-users] streaming to windows (directly through myth)

Andy Foster fostandy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 07:28:24 UTC 2006

This question rears its ugly head every couple of months but I'm a little
baffled by what is needed, minimally, to stream videos from myth.

Some people say they're able to play simply by installing dsmyth, clicking
on the myth://hostname:6543/xyz.mpg link in the appropriate browser, and the
media player of choice launches and starts streaming.

I don't understand how they do this at all. This is the myth protocol, and
thats the mythbackend address, but how does their media player understand
the myth:// uri? As I understand it in this case the media player is
basically being launched with the uri as an argument. I have tried this with
wmp, media player classic and videolan client, none of them comprehend the
myth:// uri, and my backend log shows no access attempts.

As an alternative I tried disabling the url rewriting for windows clients so
that myweb simply provides a http://hostname/valid/path/to/files.mpg . When
I click this, it prompts me to download it. I can download and then watch it
without problems (unless the file is over 2gb, but thats another matter),
but considering the sizes involved I'd prefer to stream. If I put this uri
directly into videolan, it works

Both of these behaviours seem to be correct to me, but are unfortunately not
what I want. So how do I either:
1. make the media players understand the myth protocol?
2. make my browser (firefox) allow me to pass the http:// uri to the program
of my choosing?

I understand there are a lot of workarounds for this, including samba shares
(I've tried this but similarly have not been able to launch anything from a
valid file:// uri), videolan on both client and server, but I would really
like to keep this minimal, as well as be able to use the media player of my
choice.