[mythtv-users] Nvidia card is about to fly out the window.

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:11:44 UTC 2006

Oh, yes.. It gives a full account of what's been accepted and/or rejected,
but there's no explanation or rhyme or reason that I can see on why it picks
a virtual screen size when I've got virtual set to (0,0).  What I want is
for it to use the mode line I specified and disable the virtual screen
scrolling crap, but I can't seem to make it go away.

Thx,

Eric

On 2/23/06, Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/23/06, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I realize this is not quite a MythTV issue, but somebody here will have
> some
> > experience with it as it relates to the TV output.
> >
> >  I have a test system that had a GeForce TI 4200 that was working
> fine.  VGA
> > output going to a Audio Auth. 9A60 to a Sony Hi-Def TV via component.
> > (yeah, I know
> >
> >  I replace the 4200 with a 5200 (no onboard fan) and the display is
> hosed.
> > No X11 config file changes were made at all.
> >
> >  Is there some display difference between the 4200 and 5200 that would
> cause
> > different timings or something?  The modelines in the xorg.conf worked
> > perfectly under the 4200.  The one bizarre thing that I had problems
> with
> > before is that, for some reason, the video card would assume some weird
> > virtual screen size and reject my custom mode lines (assuming a 800x600
> > virtual and rejecting the 880x480 (or whatever) screen size that was
> setup).
> >
> >  Do I just need to throw the mode lines away and start from scratch with
> > laptop and PowerStrip and re-do everything?
>
> The very first thing to do is to check your X logs
> (/var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log) and see what the
> NVidia drivers are telling you. They will give full account of what
> video modes they've detected, and why they've rejected others.
>
> Once you've done that, you can take a look at your modelines and see
> what they say.
>
> That's a good place to start, anyways.
> --
> Robert "Anaerin" Johnston