[mythtv-users] Nvidia card is about to fly out the window.

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:33:26 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize this is not quite a MythTV issue, but somebody here will have some
> experience with it as it relates to the TV output.
>
>  I have a test system that had a GeForce TI 4200 that was working fine.  VGA
> output going to a Audio Auth. 9A60 to a Sony Hi-Def TV via component.
> (yeah, I know
>
>  I replace the 4200 with a 5200 (no onboard fan) and the display is hosed.
> No X11 config file changes were made at all.
>
>  Is there some display difference between the 4200 and 5200 that would cause
> different timings or something?  The modelines in the xorg.conf worked
> perfectly under the 4200.  The one bizarre thing that I had problems with
> before is that, for some reason, the video card would assume some weird
> virtual screen size and reject my custom mode lines (assuming a 800x600
> virtual and rejecting the 880x480 (or whatever) screen size that was setup).
>
>  Do I just need to throw the mode lines away and start from scratch with a
> laptop and PowerStrip and re-do everything?

The very first thing to do is to check your X logs
(/var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/XFree86.0.log) and see what the
NVidia drivers are telling you. They will give full account of what
video modes they've detected, and why they've rejected others.

Once you've done that, you can take a look at your modelines and see
what they say.

That's a good place to start, anyways.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston