[mythtv-users] Chat client for MythTV

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 19:29:50 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Steve Dorsey <info at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:
> I totally agree.
>
>    I use iChat (AIM) all the time - and it would be great to be able
> to open a little chat window on top of the video playback, or
> possibly place the video in a sub-window (kinda like how it appears
> when you are in the channel guide - where the video is in the upper
> corner).
>
>    I'd love to see this feature.

The only problem that I can see with this is when people are using a
Myth box as it's really meant to be used - With a remote.

Typing with an on-screen keyboard isn't a very nice experience at the
best of times (Though it is still better than the old Cellphone style
input implemented on the number keys... How *DO* I erase a character
with that? :) )

I think this would need to be something made after Myth gets it's UI
overhaul, however, as at the moment there is no way for a plugin to
operate alongside the TV display, things have to be hacked in to make
it work (See also: MythTVOSD, MTD, MFE, all of which have to spawn
external processes to continue working while Myth's not got their
plugin in "focus").

You could try scripting GAIM to call MythTVOSD and pop up an alert on
the screen. But that would be one-way only (With no replying), and
would only work while TV is playing (As the MythTVOSD doesn't work
over menus).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston