[mythtv-users] Chat client for MythTV

Steve Dorsey info at dorseygraphics.com
Thu Feb 23 19:47:22 UTC 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Robert Johnston wrote:

> On 2/23/06, Steve Dorsey <info at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:
>> I totally agree.
>>
>>    I use iChat (AIM) all the time - and it would be great to be able
>> to open a little chat window on top of the video playback, or
>> possibly place the video in a sub-window (kinda like how it appears
>> when you are in the channel guide - where the video is in the upper
>> corner).
>>
>>    I'd love to see this feature.
>
> The only problem that I can see with this is when people are using a
> Myth box as it's really meant to be used - With a remote.
>
> Typing with an on-screen keyboard isn't a very nice experience at the
> best of times (Though it is still better than the old Cellphone style
> input implemented on the number keys... How *DO* I erase a character
> with that? :) )
>
> I think this would need to be something made after Myth gets it's UI
> overhaul, however, as at the moment there is no way for a plugin to
> operate alongside the TV display, things have to be hacked in to make
> it work (See also: MythTVOSD, MTD, MFE, all of which have to spawn
> external processes to continue working while Myth's not got their
> plugin in "focus").
>
> You could try scripting GAIM to call MythTVOSD and pop up an alert on
> the screen. But that would be one-way only (With no replying), and
> would only work while TV is playing (As the MythTVOSD doesn't work
> over menus).

I used BeyondTV for about a year - and I found that having a mouse
(and a keyboard also) on my coffee table is VERY handy sometimes. I'm
not saying that we should require that for MythTV, but I personally
really like the versatility of having a keyboard and mouse ready at
all times.

   For AIM chat, I'd think this would be that much easier.

My 2 cents. . .