[mythtv-users] Choppiness w/ transcoded digital broadcast

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Feb 17 14:58:45 UTC 2006

I recorded a 1 hr long show yesterday.  It was automatically transcoded
into 720x480 format, and everything looked fine.

I tried to watch it yesterday, but....

The show begins fine, but after about 8 minutes it begins to stutter.
The sound is choppy and the video is jerky.  The choppiness is
consistent; it's as if the show was recorded at 2 frames/sec.

The frontend is running at 25% CPU load; the backend is running at about
5%....

I tried various ways of fast forwarding, replaying, etc and the
choppiness always appears at the same place, so I suspect it was either
present in the original recording or was introduced in the transcoding.

Unfortunately mplayer will not play the transcoded show.

I will record another show today and keep a copy of the original capture
to see if it is a capture issue or a transcoding issue, but in the
meantime I am looking for ideas....

(All my tests were with short clips - 5 minutes or so - and this never
showed up.  So I suspect a buffer fill or some sort of resource
depletion issue...)

--Yan