[mythtv-users] MythTV Compile Options

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 7 00:16:37 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:

>I notice that MythTV by default seems to compile without mmx on my
>amd64. Clearly the CPU supports the mmx instructions, so is there any
>reason not to force it to use them? Any great benefit to using them
>(probably de-interlace)?

./configure --enable-proc-opt

If you compile without it, you get:
WARNING: If you plan to watch HDTV recordings you probably need to run
./configure with --enable-proc-opt

If you compile with it, you get:
WARNING: When using --enable-proc-opt you must include the output of
./configure along with any bug report.

So, pick your poison.

>Also, is OpenGL support required in order to use XvMc? I think the
>"nvidia" compile-time option

This sounds like a Gentooism or something.  In Myth, configure takes:

--enable-opengl-vsync

and

--enable-xvmc
*
*

> really means "XvMc", but is the nVidia
>OpenGL required in order to use this?

No.  (At least not OpenGL vsync--the NVIDIA drivers always come with
support for OpenGL, so you can't install them without, so I'm assuming
your talking about Myth's "OpenGL vsync").

>The obvious reason for the above is that if I use nVidia's OpenGL I
>get the infamous "high CPU load" problem, but I'd like to use XvMC.
>The way I see it right now I can't, is this correct?

No.

>Is the best answer to try and get older versions of nVidia's drivers
>to work on my machine? (so far I haven't been able to do that), or
>wait and hope nVidia figures out vSync?

Just turn off OpenGL vsync with a setting in 0.18-fixes or higher and
turn on XvMC.

Mike