[mythtv-users] MythstreamTV (and mythweb) question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 26 03:37:40 UTC 2006

On 08/24/06 20:39, chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:07:52PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>MythWeb automatically uses "myth://" URI's when the client (running the
>>browser) is a Windows machine.  It's assuming you have the DSMyth
>>filters (properly) installed.
>>
>That made a lot of sense when the files were in the .nuv format and
>Windows had no way of viewing them natively.  Now that the
>recordings are .mpg,

The file formats haven't changed.  If the files are in MPEG format, now,
they were in MPEG format before--they just happened to have a name that
ended with .nuv.  Any OS that wasn't designed to require file metadata
to be encoded into a filename doesn't care.  And the OS that does
require special filenames has a facility for changing the application
associated with an extension.

> serving them through VLC (for streaming) or
>http (for downloading) is probably more practical.  It shouldn't be
>neccessary to treat Windows clients differently from everyone else.

Wow.  I'm very surprised to hear that nobody ever transcodes their files
to MPEG-4 in NuppelVideo containers and that nobody has software
encoders (which record to NuppelVideo containers), anymore.

Mike