[mythtv-users] MythstreamTV (and mythweb) question

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Aug 26 10:59:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 11:37:40PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> The file formats haven't changed.  If the files are in MPEG format, now,
> they were in MPEG format before--they just happened to have a name that
> ended with .nuv.  Any OS that wasn't designed to require file metadata
> to be encoded into a filename doesn't care.  And the OS that does
> require special filenames has a facility for changing the application
> associated with an extension.

Let me rephrase the comment, then: using an url that specifies a
proprietary protocol to stream a standard file-type to a platform
that could otherwise easily play that file-type doesn't make any
sense unless you're intentionally trying to be incompatible.
That's a fool's game.  I'm as much a Linux zealot as anyone else,
but there's little to be gained by making things harder for Windows
users.  It's commonly accepted that Linux is a viable and even
preferable choice for the server, but they're NOT going to dump
their desktop OS just so they can watch MythTV.  MythTV *could*
have been a "killer app" like Samba or Apache but by not providing
a Windows frontend and being intentionally incompatible with IE/WMP
we've basically created a market for crap like Microsoft's
"PlaysForSure" standard and products like the D-Link Media Player
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=318).  For all the whining on
Slashdot about the thin edge of the DRM wedge we're not doing much
to provide an alternative.