[mythtv-users] Resolution Issues, was: program guide font size

Peter Darley darley at darleyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 25 16:46:19 EDT 2005

Michael,

     I wish there was a DVI or VGA connector too.

     It's worse than I thought too, as reading the faq on the
Winischhoffer site, I find:

Q: High resolution modes such as 1024x768 and 1280x720/1280x1024 look
quite bad in 720p/750p and 1080i mode. How come?
A: The video bridges' TV encoder is only capable of delivering 800
real pixels of video data. This despite the fact that 720p/750p and
1080i are supposed to be used with higher resolutions than 800 pixels
per line. Higher resolutions than 800 will be scaled down. Not only
is this a big disadvantage to start with, the downscaler also is a
really bad one. Well, it's cheap hardware. At least 1024x576 doesn't
look too bad. I mostly use 960x540 in 1080i mode and I can live very
well with it.

     Man, what a croc!  I feel like I was mislead by the marketing
materials.  While I like the look of the box, I'm not as impressed
with the hardware in it.

     Since I don't have any hd content to display anyway, would I be
better off with 720 x 480?  I guess I'll try that, and the 960x540
that the faq suggests.

     If I ever get any hd content I guess I'll look into VGA-
 >Component conversion.

Thanks,
Peter Darley