[mythtv-users] New MythTV setup

David Wallace dwallace at landsouth.net
Tue Oct 25 12:00:07 EDT 2005

Hello List,

I am getting ready to build a mythTV machine from a lot of extra parts I
have around and would like some input on hardware and interfacing into
my current AV system.

I have an Athalon 1700 on an Abit KD7 raid motherboard with 256 mb ram.

1) should I consider getting 4 drives the same size and use the hardware
raid in stripping mode?

2) I have a WinTV PVR 250 working for capture using ivtv 0.4.0. The
hardware browser says it is a "Intermext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder", is this good enough for MythTV?

3) The video card is a Matrox Millennium G400 AGP, the one that can use
dual head, had it doing TV out under RedHat 9. Will it work well with
MythTV?

4) Sound. My current AV system has a Sony 5.1 amp with a MD (digital
tape) input and output, like old cassette tape monitior recievers. The
motherboard has  a VIA AC97 audio controller with a 5.1 fiber output
which I think can be inputted to the Sony MD input. Is there another
audio card I could add to capture 5.1 into MythTV. My AV source is
DirecTV which provides 5.1 (if available) to the amp.

I have been reading Jarod Wilson's Fedora 4 FAQ for mythTV which I find
very helpful on the subject, but obviously can't address every hardware
configuration possible, hence this posting. Thanks in advance to any
that can help and make recommendations.

Thanks, David