[mythtv-users] The Race to Change the Channel (Great Suggestion!)

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Wed Oct 19 10:34:04 EDT 2005

Robert Denier wrote:
> I tend to more or less agree that changing channels super fast is not
> too important.  Small dish receivers haven't ever done this fast.  Of
> course adding the myth layer slows things down a little, but for quite
> practical reasons and its no big deal.
>
> Now if one wanted a trivial way to flip channels fast, at least in
> principle, you could use inactive capture cards to lock on and start a
> stream on the next channel while your still on the current channel.
> Then you also need to have the decompression sequence started as well,
> but in principle you could double your flipping channels rate.
>
> Is it worth the trouble?  I doubt it...
>
> -Robert Denier
>
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 21:33 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
>
>> I agree, with one caveat.
>>
>> I still use the LiveTV feature, although not as much
>> as I used to (because even though I'm on the west
>> coast, most of my channels are east coast feeds, which
>> necessitates recording everything).
>>
>> Even though I still use LiveTV, I would never, ever
>> "channel surf".  What's the point, when you have full
>> program information available with only a button
>> press?  If I'm watching LiveTV (because, perhaps I've
>> watched all of my recordings), when I want to find
>> something to watch, I'll scroll through the program
>> guide.  It's much more effective than scrolling
>> through every channel.
>>
>> Even with a real TV, channel surfing is a pointless
>> waste of time.  While you're busy going through your
>> 50+ channels looking for something to watch, you might
>> be missing something you'd actually enjoy.
>>
>> -- Joe
>>
>> --- Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:

>>> Everyone knows that changing channels is slow, but
>>> most of us don't
>>> care.  I can't remember the last time I turned on
>>> the TV to watch Live
>>> TV.  I just record all of the shows I like.  MythTV
>>> was designed and
>>> optimized for time-shifting, and I don't think there
>>> are very many
>>> people that would want to change that design just to
>>> make changing
>>> channels faster.  That's my opinion, anyway.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andrew McNabb
>>> http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/
>>> PGP Fingerprint: 8A17 B57C 6879 1863 DE55  8012 AB4D
>>> 6098 8826 6868

Good thinking!

This would be a great default functionality for an idle second tuner.
(IE: when a PVR-500 is not recording anything, it can help improve your
performance.)  But then the idle tuner has to answer the question: "Do I
tune to current channel plus one or current channel minus one?"  I guess
the natural answer is "Assume the user is going to continue surfing in
the same direction."  But it won't help with the first channel change,
or at least I guess there is a 50/50 chance of it being tuned to the
right 'next' channel.

Then you also have then problem:
A PVR-500 owner always wants the second tuner to be the default for
single recordings.  Why?  Because only the first tuner can be used for
listening to the FM radio.  If you try to listen to the radio while the
first tuner is recording...
http://www.ivtvdriver.org/pipermail/ivtv-users/2005-October/000048.html

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.