[mythtv-users] Converting MythWEB WAP theme to chtml

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 06:07:50 UTC 2005

On 12/10/05, David Bennett <davidbennett1979 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to convert the Mythweb Mobile WAP theme so that it is
> usable on mobile devices that do not support WAP (chtml) (ie. I-Mode)
I'm not quite sure where this confusion comes from, but WAP is a
transmission protocol rather than a display meta-language, but the
code seems to have this apparent confusion too :(

> Essentially I need the same format (table layout, sizes, menus) as the
> WAP version, without all the WAP code. I am trying to get things off
> the ground, but I can't find where MythWEB identifies itself as a WAP
> page.
MythWeb appears to support two mobile styles, the first one is 'WML'
and the second is 'HTML'.  Both can be sent over WAP or over IP
(GPRS).  It is dependant on the formats the mobile device can support.

> Is there a .WML file that is being sent? How does the WAP theme
> identify itself as a WAP theme?

The mobile device sends HTTP-ACCEPT + User-Agent headers up to the
mythweb application.  Mythweb interprets these two headers and decides
a) Is this a mobile device and b) What type of content should we send
down.

i.e. If the User-Agent = Nokia something-or-other it says, okey we
have a mobile device, and if there is a HTTP-ACCEPT header of
text/html, it will send down the Mobile HTML theme otherwise it will
send down the WML theme.... i've submitted a patch to SVN/Trac that
fixes the case where the mobile device submits a HTTP-ACCEPT of */* so
doesn't get sent the html, when it should.

> Am I making any sense?

Does this help at all ? [disclaimer: this understanding has come from
taking apart the code in SVN, I may be wrong, I didn't write it :) ]