[mythtv-users] Record Programs Playback

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 19 17:02:00 UTC 2005

Jason C. Greb wrote:

>I am using MythTV on two different monitors, one DVI and one RGB to
>S-Video convertor (which then goes to a RF  Modulator so I can beam it
>to another room). This works great, and I can see it in both rooms.
>However, when I play videos, I get a blue screen in the other room (the
>RGB side).

Most video drivers only support a single Xv surface.  Therefore, only
one of your outputs is giving you a picture.  The other gets's the Xv
color_key (in your case, the blue color you're seeing).

>I have changed the MythDVD and MythVideo to use mplayer -vo x11. This works, so I can see it in both rooms.

Because you're no longer using Xv.

>However, all of my
>recorded programs from the TV still show up in blue.

Because MythTV uses Xv, if available.

>I can not find the command for playing these videos.

Because it uses an internal player.

>I am assuming it is just using MPlayer, but I may be wrong.

You're right about being wrong.  See above.  ;)

>I tried adding vo=x11 to .mplayer/config, but this did nothing.

As explained above.

>I also searched the database under the table
>settings, but did not find anything there either. Where can I find this
>command line so I can edit it to use a different video out method? I
>need to do this so I when my girlfriend gets back from Spain after being
>gone for a month, she can watch the recorded shows in the bedroom... :)

You could always recompile MythTV without support for Xv (./configure
--disable-xv), but that's probably not what you want.  Without Xv
support, your CPU must do significantly more work to display video.  I
recommend you find a solution that allows use of Xv for all your video
output (MythTV, xine, MPlayer, and anything else you use).  (Note that
since you specified -vo x11, you'll have to specify -vo xv once to
switch back since MPlayer remembers the last setting.)

To get video on multiple TV's, you should either a) use multiple
frontends or b) use an RF modulator.  You said you're using a DVI output
and an RGB to S-Video converger (VGA output?), but you didn't explain
why you need both outputs.  Why not send the output from the MythTV box
to the RF modulator and then send its output to both TV's.

If quality is the concern, you'll probably get the best quality on each
system using a separate mythfrontend.  Then, you can use a DVI
connection to your digital TV and an S-Video (or even RF) connection to
your analog TV's.

If you describe your desired result and the constraints under which
you're working, it would be easier for people to recommend a solution.

HTH.

Mike