[mythtv-users] Exporting/Archiving MythTV recordings for use w/standalone mpeg4 player

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 03:12:36 UTC 2005

--- Nathan Richardson <nathan.richardson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks - the program seems to do exactly what I
> want. I can't get it
> to compile, though. There's no documentation at all.
> I tried doing
> make, then make install, and it didn't seem to work.
> Lots of errors
> and I can't run the software (it never got
> installed, apparently).
> Some other post here mentioned a small change needed
> in the makefile -
> anyone know what that is, or have any advice on
> compiling/installing
> nuv2avi?
>
> Thanks...
>
> n.b. - running FC2.
>

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:48:33 -0800 (PST), Andrew
> Lynch <lynchaj at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- Nathan Richardson
> <nathan.richardson at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I have a second TV with a mpeg4-compatible DVD
> > > player (Philips dvp642)
> > > and a full drive on my Myth box. My plan is to
> > > archive shows to DVD-R
> > > and play them on my standalone (or on the myth
> box
> > > with xine). I'd
> > > also like to be able to play the files on my
> windows
> > > box.
> > >
> > > My recordings are all already transcoded to
> mpeg4.
> > > The standalone
> > > player can play anything I throw at it (DivX,
> Xvid,
> > > VCD, SVCD, random
> > > mpeg2 files, etc.), but I doubt it could play a
> > > burned .nuv file.
> > > What's the best way to get these nuv files into
> > > portable, readable
> > > mpeg4 file format (container is the more
> specific
> > > word, I think) for
> > > use on these other devices.
> > >
> > > I don't want to transcode the files again unless
> > > have to, since they
> > > are already in mpeg4. Would nuvexport allow me
> to do
> > > this?
> > >
> > > Thanks..
> > >

> > > --
> > > Nathan Richardson
> > > 1600 S. Joyce St. Apt. 1403
> > > Arlington, VA 22202
> > > 202-257-1025
> > > nathan.richardson at gmail.com
> > > richarnd at georgetown.edu

> > I would use nuv2avi.  It works great and exports
> nuv
> > files to "as is" mpeg4 files WITHOUT transcoding
> that
> > nuvexport requires.  Go do a quick google on
> nuv2avi
> > to see more.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Andrew Lynch
> >

> --
> Nathan Richardson
> 1600 S. Joyce St. Apt. 1403
> Arlington, VA 22202
> 202-257-1025
> nathan.richardson at gmail.com
> richarnd at georgetown.edu

Yeah, there is some problem with the latest version.
I posted some stuff on the KnoppMyth board... let me
see if I can find it....

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2    (search for nuv2avi)

well, the knoppmyth forums seem to be down right now.
Just go over there sometime and search for nuv2avi and
you'll see my stream of emails thread on nuv2avi.  The
problem really was pretty simple to fix though... just
edit the Makefile to include the directory for the
missing library (lame.h?).  Just do a search for
lame.h on your PC and then edit Makefile to add

-I/lame.h_directory/

and rerun make.  Something like that.  nuv2avi works
great. I wish it were included in MythTV or KnoppMyth
or at least rolled into nuvexport.  The no transcode
"as is" export rocks for MPEG4 exports.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch