[mythtv-users] Is pchdtv3000 worth it?

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Jan 14 17:28:16 EST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:43:34PM -0800, Julian wrote:
> Brandon,
>
> I have Comcast basic cable, and am building my first
> Myth box.  My fear is that encryption will void this
> card if I get digital cable.  The only way this could
> change is with some sort of composite card capture
> solution that reads from the cable box post-decryption
> and an IR blaster, right?  Maybe I could hack together
> a composite out that goes into the pchdtv3000?
>
> Thanks again,
> Julian

Julian,

 Right.  Except I don't see what you could achieve with hacking a
composite out, other than capture non-HD video.  But no need to hack.
All cable boxes have composite or s-video out.  Any cheap $20 ntsc tuner
card can capture composite and/or s-video.  The hd3000 could capture,
but that would be an expensive way to do it.  I guess the question you
need to find out is if comcast sends out encrypted QAM or not.

--Brandon