[mythtv-users] New NVidia drivers, 7676.. not much changed.

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Wed Aug 24 22:04:55 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 02:07 pm, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> I noticed that Nvidia posted a new driver version, 7676, a week or so ago.
>
> I downloaded the AMD64 version, hoping to get reliable XvMC operation,
> but it didn't have any noticeable improvements on my system.
>

> XvMC still fails to initialize.    I didn't bother messing with it any
> more, but I assume it's still the same behavior as 7667, where you
> have to try initializing it 20+ times, then finally you get lucky and
> it works.  After that it works every time.

What do you need XvMC for on an amd64 system?  I can pretty easily decode,
deinterlace, and display three 1080i streams simultaneously with pure
software decoding on my dev system.  Might be able to do four with a little
tweaking, if I cared to.  Granted, it's a dual-core 4400+, but that's similar
enough to two 3500+ chips that I can't imagine 1080i not playing smoothly in
software on almost any xp 64.

On this machine, one 1080i stream doesn't even trip the powernowd thresholds,
so the cpu stays downclocked/volted to it's minimum level - at that point,
I'd rather keep load on the CPU and off of the video card so the videocard
doesn't start adding more heat to the system.

Isaac