[mythtv-users] Distro of Choice

Michael S. Keller samsara at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Nov 12 20:55:31 UTC 2004

> What distribution of linux have people had good experience and ease of
> configuration for MythTV.  I've uesed every distribution listed
> Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo, Debian.   I consider my self proficient in all
> but not an expert.   I dont mind compiling but for my first box i'd
> probably use a binary (or emerge) till i understand it better, then
> possibly compile later.

Debian for more than eight years and still no compelling reason to
switch. Tried Red Hat more than once and Gentoo once. Still using Debian.

I've mostly given up on custom kernels and am using a stock 2.6.7-686
Debian kernel. I did install both headers and source to get all the
pieces to compile (ivtv, lirc, MythTV (to get XvMC)) and working with my
PVR-250.

The Fedora drivers supplied with the HD-3000 compiled without fatal
error, but until I get a motherboard that recognizes them, I won't be
using them. Thinking toward Athlon 64 3400+, probably VIA chipset, based
on my last reading of Tom's Hardware, though I will revisit some
benchmarks before making a final choice.

-M