[mythtv-users] Distro of Choice

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 13 00:08:02 UTC 2004

Mark Gardner wrote:

>What distribution of linux have people had good experience and ease of
>configuration for MythTV.

For my money, Gentoo.  Even though the guides aren't 100% perfect, if
you consider yourself proficient in Gentoo, you won't have any real
trouble finding the help you need to finish the last little bits off.

For me on a Celeron 2.4G, it took about three days to set the system up,
bearing in mind that this is doing work on it for a couple of hours each
evening and kicking off a big compile to complete overnight.  I've
discovered that using distcc is just too unreliable for doing stuff
overnight, and when you are compiling this way, who's going to notice if
the compile takes an additional hour?

>  I've uesed every distribution listed
>Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo, Debian.   I consider my self proficient in all
>but not an expert.   I dont mind compiling but for my first box i'd
>probably use a binary (or emerge) till i understand it better, then
>possibly compile later.

If you go with Gentoo, it's just as easy to compile the lot from scratch, albeit a little slower.

>If one distro works with the Hauppange Remote control that would be
>good.  But what i'm really after is which one is easiest to configure.

I /think/ Gentoo's ebuild for LIRC installs as a Hauppage Remote as
default.  I can't swear to it since I don't have a Hauppage 250/350...
(I use a Nova-T DVB card)