[mythtv-users] Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

Cotter, Paul M. pcotter at kmzr.com
Tue May 18 15:55:12 EDT 2004

Okay, as a newbie who's just built his first myth box, this whole thread
seems like a childish rant.  Since I love ranting and acting like a
child in a public forum, here I go weighing in...

First off, the name... "wiki" - reminds me way too much of "ewok" and
brings to mind silly creatures partying in the trees... Hmmm...  Silly
creatures... Heads in the sky...  Okay, I don't think you're all space
cadets, but it really is a stupid and objectionable name.

Secondly, I don't fully understand Isacc's aversion to adding a link to
Jarod's guide from the mythtv.org site, but mythtv.org is his site and
if he doesn't think it belongs there then it's his choice, so shut up
and move on already.

As a newbie, I went to the "wiki" and found it unusable.
TitlesLikeThese remind me of filelike.ths type of limitations/standards
- stupid and an unreadable mess.  If your intent is to help newbies it
needs some serious work.  Before anyone else says it, I don't like any
of the w!@$'s I've seen out there, it's not just this one.  The problem
with allowing anyone to edit something is that *anyone* can edit it, and
thus mess it up for everyone and decrease the SNR.  Centralization vs.
flexibility is always a trade off, and I'm sure I don't need to go into
too much depth about that here - I think this is too much of an extreme
on the flexibility side.

Unfortunately, I also see copious use of the word "cool" ("Then... fix
it.  That's what's so cool") WRT to the wiki things, both here and
elsewhere on the 'net.  Sadly, I find there tends to be an inverse
relationship between the frequency of the use of the word "cool" and the
referred-to application's usability/usefulness.  I don't see a lot of
people referring to mythtv as "cool", usually more like awesome,
excellent, amazing etc.

There is a need for more specialized HOWTO's, but from what I've seen of
w!@#s I don't think that's the answer.  I don't, unfortunately, know
what the right answer is, but if I find it, I'm not going to call it
"wiki".

I think a mythtv.info site is a good idea, as long as there is some
degree of moderation and coordination with the official documentation
efforts, but I do hate the w!@#.  I think one section for hardware
recommendations and one section for specialized HOWTO's and/or
specialized config files would clear a lot of bandwidth on the mailing
list.

Paul