[mythtv-users] Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 18 16:11:24 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 03:55 pm, Cotter, Paul M. wrote:

> First off, the name... "wiki" - reminds me way too much of "ewok" and
> brings to mind silly creatures partying in the trees... Hmmm...  Silly
> creatures... Heads in the sky...  Okay, I don't think you're all space
> cadets, but it really is a stupid and objectionable name.

If memory serves it was created at the university of Hawaii...  Wiki is a
culture specific name...  Part of the lingo the natives spoke before we got
around to invading them.  I guess all foreign words are stupid and
objectionable now that I think about it... : )

If they wanted to market it to people on the mainland they would have called
it "ULTRAMEGAPOSTER" or "EDITMAN5000" or "H2" or "PATRIOTBOARD" or something.

All the off shoots have kept wiki somewhere in the name out of respect for the
original I am guessing.  In short the name was not coined specifically for
this project.

Later

--

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
-Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
-Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama