[mythtv-users] Wiki formatting was: Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

David myth at dgreaves.com
Tue May 18 17:12:35 EDT 2004

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

>>I've been trying to look through that Wiki that someone set up, and I
>>hate it. Why is everything titled with NamesLikeThis ? Can't it even
>>deal with spaces? It's very randomly structured, and I certainly
>>don't see how it's useful. Oh, and there's a Guides section, then a
>>HOWTO section. What's the difference? And I click on the first HOWTO
>>(Widescreen) and get a page about creating a new page. I don't want
>>that! I thought it said it was a HOWTO on getting Widescreen displays
>>to work right. And there are sentences on that page like "To create
>>your own templates, add a page with a name matching the regex
>>"[a-z]Template$". Huh? Yeah, that's going to help a newbie figure
>>things out. I'm sorry, but it all seems like a giant step backwards.
>>

>For the Wiki maintainer, some of the Wiki software has a RenamePage
>function.

It's not one I know about in Moin - sounds sensible - I've had to get
into Moin development/patching anyway so I'll see.

>  Can this be added to the mythtv.info wiki to correct the
>NamesLikeThis aspect as needed?

Moin uses so-called "CamelCase" to identify links without using any
other syntax. It can be distracting but it's the way wiki's are.  Moin
does have the option to insert spaces (see UserPreferences - oops, User
Preferences) on output but you must type links without spaces when
editing. I can't do anything about that.

It took me a while - I'd suggest persevering - I did.

>One in particular, the LiRc page is indeed
>annoying and renaming it would be in order.

Mmm - suggestions?
(FWIW I don't like PvR350 - and I came up with it !!)

I think some of them are just little midgy-like annoyances that we can
probably live with :)

BTW someone didn't like ArchiveToDvd
<http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/ArchiveToDvd?action=highlight&value=DeleteMe>
so they fixed it earlier tonight :)