[mythtv-users] Help with install

CiCAdmin cicadmin at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 12:28:37 EST 2004

I need help with my installation:

I'm using the following guide http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php the
problem I am having is early on in the installation process. After running
the following command from section 6:
# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
it seems to update fine without any problems. When I go to the next step
which is editing the sources.list and doing another update:
# apt-get update
I get the following error"
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
E: could not open RPM database

I then try the following suggestion:
After the big upgrade, you MAY get an error about being unable to open the
rpm database (this used to happen to me w/RHL9, but hasn't ever with FC). If
you do encounter this error, try the following:
# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
# rpm -vv --rebuilddb

After trying this I still get the same error when trying to #apt- get
(anything)

Please assist.