[mythtv-users] How do i get the results of commercial break detection?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:07:09 EST 2004

Quoting VJ <vj at vijayg.homelinux.net>:

> Hi,
>     I have mythTV running without any problem for last one week. I learnt
> about the commercial detection and I see some hard disk activity going on
> (along with current status shown in 'View Recordings screen that commercial
> detection is in progress). But at the end I do not see any effect of all
> that. I play the same file and commercials are still there. Can anybody
> shed
> soem light on it?
> Thanks in advance.
> VJ
When a commercial hits, you should see a "Commercial detected" message pop up on
the OSD.  (Unless you've configured Myth to automatically skip commercials, I
don't.)

There are also two keys to do commercial skipping.  I forget what they are, all
I know is what they're mapped to on the RS 15-2116 when using Jarod's 15-2116
HOWTO.  :)

Also, if you're using pure blank frame detection and have certain types of
noise, no blank frames (and hence no commercials) will be detected.  There's
also a minor bug in 0.14 that will cause Myth to ignore commercial flags if not
a single blank frame was detected.  (Fixed in CVS after a brief discussion of
the issue that I brought up.)

For example, I have OTA broadcast, and blank frame detection works WONDERFULLY
on WNBC 4 out of NYC - It's my best channel.  On the other hand, I have some
sort of interference source that causes very small bands of noise in each frame
on WCBS 2.  Visually I don't notice it unless I'm looking for it, but it's
enough to really screw with blank frame detection.  (BFD will mark a frame as
"not blank" if even one pixel is over 1/2 brightness.)